Spiced Mini Burgers With Couscous Salad
Recipe from Sara Quessenberry from Real Simple's "Best Recipes"
- 1 1/2 cups couscous
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 scallions (green onions) sliced
- 4 plum tomatoes quartered
- 1 seedless cucumber cut into half-moons
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 8 ounce hummus
- Place the couscous in a large bowl and pour 1½ cups hot tap water over the top. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes; fluff with a fork. (We tend to use couscous that requires boiling and simmering, but any kind will do.)
- Form the beef into 12 small ½-inch-thick patties. Sprinkle with the cumin, oregano, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the patties and cook to the desired doneness, 4 minutes per side for medium.
- Toss the couscous with the scallions, tomatoes, cucumber, lemon juice, remaining oil, 1¼ teaspoons salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Serve with the burgers and use hummus as a dip for the patties.
*Give this dinner a Mediterranean twist by using ground lamb for the patties and stirring ¼ cup crumbled Feta into the couscous salad.